Friday, December 9, 2011

December 7 Achievement Unlocked


December 7, 2011 Prompt:

Achievement Unlocked

What goal did you set for yourself and achieve this year? 


A secret desire I had was to stop being depressed. I can't say that I did anything to stop that really but it did come about. I did not (said with a deep low commanding voice) "set a goal", but I don't typically set goals because I might not make them and then I would be disappointed. But after two years of being frustrated and not having any hope (which is the definition of depression) I decided to just lower my expectations, and not care anymore. Oddly enough it worked. The less I want things to be my way, which is not a selfish statement, because my way might just be to be more loving, or the be more loved, or to be more successful, or to be less irritable, those kinds of my ways, the happier I got when I let go of them. I have know this lesson for a long time, but I usually could pull myself up by my boot straps and stay happy, but it didn't work anymore. So reducing my expectations has been the pill I have taken like someone might take Prozac. The depression has lifted and the world is a bright and beautiful full place in my mind and heart again.

1 comment:

Thoughts for the day said...

Good job of taking care of yourself.