Sunday, November 8, 2009

EPCOT-did you know they teach Evolution?


Day 2 - Epcot
How should I do this a laundry list or a diatribe?
1. Swimming in our own private pool
2. Speed game of Air Hockey
3. Odwalla Bar breakfast
4. Epcot
5.Cracker Barrel (Oh my Goodness I love this place)
I think I should have been born a Southern Gal.
6. Home to our Villa to tuck in our little boy and catch up on school work for Brian and keeping up with what we did for me.
I will elaborate on Epcot: First of all this is my third time coming, Brian's fourth and Edik's first (he got to wear a button saying so), the teaching themes are very obvious this time, save the earth and evolution. I don't have a problem with either one. I agree that man needs to protect and keep and subdue the earth that was entrusted to him by our God. And I love evolution, I love the science of it, the creativity, the theory and the fact that it is a beautiful opening to talk about Creation and what "we" believe.
I love Ellen Degenerates ride through her dream where she is learning about energy. It starts off with "The Big Bang Theory", the loud noise and flashes of light literally frightened Edik, but I think figuratively as well, he was confused about what they were say and what he had read in his school books. That was a great segueway into talking about creation.

At the end of the tour it talks about that the only renewable resource we have is Brain power. Another quote I saw during the day drove it home, "Creativity with knowledge is power". How true is that - that when we understand how things grow and what makes them grow, then we can be creative about where we want them to grow and how much crop we want them to yield and in that solve problems. I love the little ride that takes us through Disney's hydrophonic garden, and it talks about all the unconventional ways of growing food, now that is creativity with knowledge!

Enough of the educational stuff. We got a fast pass for Soaring, but it would not be until after 4pm and it was noon. We did the test track speeding car ride (total of 3 times). Brian and Edik did the simulator to outer space. I could not bring myself to get in that tiny simulator, I am sure I missed something amazing but ehh no biggy.

I did a entire recycling circuit that taught me about how much garbage Brian and Edik produce and how I have to recycle it all and put it in the right place. It let me burn some of the garbage so we did not have to put it in the landfill. It helped me build a golf course, (I named it Methane Greens, in honor of the gas it produced) over a full landfill. It was a really cool process that I hope people are really using.
While I was being "Green" Brian and Edik were creating their own ride in a robotic simulator, Edik has the card with the program on it so they could ride it again. We went and did the Finding Nemo ride and looked at all the cool fish tanks afterwards.
We did not eat much because we were busy but we got a sudden fatigue so we dashed off to Germany for Bratwurst and sauerkraut, no adult beverage however because of our young charge, but we longingly looked at other peoples beverages (Did I mention that it was international food and wine show?).
We saw a funny Japanese street performance then we saw some wondering English (they were real, bad teeth and all) minstrels and street theater.
The Soaring ride was over California and it was so fun, to smell the ocean air, the orange groves and the pine forest.
Most of the time we would introduce ourselves to someone standing in front of us, and strike up a conversation. We met a man from New York, who worked as a telephone switch technician for 35 years, he and his wife were from Brooklyn. There was the couple from Minnesota who owned a car rental place and rentals. The car rentals were high end sports cars, his main clientele were the Arab people going to the Mayo Clinic for treatment. Ardie from Cuba, living in Miami, he was our age and was born in Cuba but lived and worked and raised his family in Miami, he was an insurance sales man with a brokers license. Very personable and intelligent man. He was so excited to meet Edik, our little Russian. He mentioned that Cuba and Russia had an alliance at one point, I did not say that it was a scary one but I thought it.
I probably forgot to mention this but this is Ediks 2nd year anniversary of being our son. We are celebrating the whole week and reminding him of how blessed we feel to have him as our son. He has matured and is getting the hang of being in a family and learning what it is to be a real boy. We are having so much fun with him and just loving having someone who is in awe of everything to share our amazing country with! He got to say a Russian hi to a beautiful Russian girl at Epcot today.

Now just wait until tomorrow!

No comments: