Sunday, November 8, 2009

...and we are off to Orlando

You would not believe the amount of work it takes to get ready to go on a trip. It is resolving a weeks worth of real estate that might happen while I am gone, reassuring people that I will take care of them from afar and organizing my paper work so someone else (my buddy Jim Snell) can deal with my files while I am away. It is as mundane as buying dog food and cleaning house so the house sitters/dog sitter (Peter and Amy) aren't grossed out by our dirt, we are not even going to talk about the measuring cups in the sink. It is texting my other son (Andy) so he knows I love him just in case our plane crashes. There is the laundry, the packing, the remembering, the deciding what we need and what we will take. There is Edik's stuff, school, sharper minds and his packing. That is just my stuff.


Brian has to do a board report 2 weeks in advance, do a weeks worth of school work (he is getting his MBA), Go re-set a toilet at the apartments and rent the apartment. Plan the fun we will have while we are gone and get the rental car. Plus a myriad of other minuscule details that would take too much time to explain to me but I know he takes care of them.


At the airport we fly Delta and it shows - we have big smiles on our faces because we are going to the second most happy place on earth, Disney World (this is per our Amy). The flight is good, Edik reads all the airplane literature and tells me all the details of the wing, the take off and what the sounds are. He watches the Bee Movie in Russian for the 30th time, he watches Tom and Jerry for the 20th time and still laughs. He is a great traveler and holds my hand through the airports and stays close. I read a Criminal Behavior book, very good read. Brian does you guessed it - School Work.


The craziest thing happens in Atlanta when we are moving through the airport to our next flight. I see young (I mean young) kids with crisp, starched, just out of the package Sailor Suits on. I think you don't see that everyday. My dear friend Debbie's son was graduating this weekend from Navy boot camp and she wanted to be there but couldn't so when I saw them all dressed so cute I thought of her. I heard one of the young Wacs say "is that music, that sounds so good". I turned and looked up at her as we were riding down a long escalator and said, "did you all graduate this weekend?" She replied, "yes we did." I was curious if maybe she was at the same base as our friend Zac Barber, so I asked her where she graduated from and she told me it was from Lake Michigan I was dumbfounded. That is where Zac was at. I just blurted out, "Do you know Zac Barber?" all up and down the escalator all eye from our boys and girls in blue were on me, all replying we know Barber. What and incredibly small world. They told me a funny story about him and then I thanked them for serving our country and said our good-by's, but we had a nice conversation as a group at the bottom of the Atlanta escalator!


The rest is just flying and landing and being lost and then found. We got to our amazing Villa with the heated pool and Jacuzzi and the 4 master suites. So at 2 a.m. Florida time we fell asleep. It was a long but good day.

No comments: