Saturday, November 14, 2009

Busch Garden - The day we nearly froze to death

Once again we could not rouse ourselves out of bed early enough to get out of the house any sooner than noon. Considering we have nothing to do but get dressed, it is rather pathetic. We didn't really eat, maybe a yogurt for Edik and an apple, but Lori did burn through her pot of coffee to get going and that takes some time, that is one of the things I love about her, because I have to slow down and I do love to be
forced to slow down.

It was cold, usually I don't find it necessary to report on the weather but - it was cold!

Tampa is not that far away from Kissimmee, about an hour, the habitual cows that had grazed in the field beside the freeway for the past 4 days were absent, I was beginning to think they too were staged as everything is in the make believe places we have been visitng. The drive was a chatter box time noting the different types of cars that passed us (Edik) proclaiming, "Gator Ponds" (Edik and Beth), and noting what was a sketchy area and what was cool!

We always get hungry because we did not have much food at the Villa. By the time we left, we were in need of something to eat. We always drive past all the potential places and then not making a decision, once again this was true. Upon our arrival it ws windy and cool, there were very few "guests" visiting the park so we had our choice of a parking spot near the shuttle tram. The computers were down when we went to buy our tickets, they managed to produce us some and as we attempted to go through the you-scan-turn-style gates our tickets were rejected, the women at my turn-style was quick to accuse us all of using "used" tickets. It offended me that she would jump to conslusion and accuses us all. But I left the thought at the gate and proceeded to our fun day.
The unique thing about Busch Garden is the unnatural mixture of death defying roller coasters and zoo quality animals in manmade natural habitats. The "gators" were our first sighting, big lazy prehistoric killing machines. They looked charming and touchable as they slept. We saw all the baby animals and the snakes, spiders, frogs and stinky birds. The train ride bumped us through the make shift plains where we saw zebra, white rhinos, giraffes, gazelles. I think zebra wear the best outfits, they look sharp.


Brian and Edik braved the Sheikara ride. At two points the ride creeps to the edge of a straight down million foot drop and wait for it, wait for it(7 to 10 seconds each time, I timed it) wait for it, bam you are plummeting to your death, then it sweeps you up and throws you around and drops you again and flings you through some water. Here is the thing, I ride these rides purely to satisfy those that I am with. It is not for enjoyment, pleasure, fun or excitement, it is a strangling, fear for me that chokes me till I fear I will not be conscious, so I decided, I am a liberated Child of God who does not have to surcome to this incredible peer torturing. I proclaimed it loud and firm, when my small family chided me to come, "I am a liberated Child of God free from people pleasing pressure." I had fun the rest of the day.

The over head sky ride with the birds eye view of the park was a great tool to be able to choose where we wanted to go next. Swimming hippos will get me everytime. They are so graceful and interested in all of us and the things on the top and things on the bottom, I could tell because we were under water protected by glass, very cool. I had to think of my grand-dog Juno when I saw the hipppos hide. The lazy lion was pretty. The ring tailed lemurs were interesting in how they segregated themselves from the regular brown lemurs. The prairies dogs were comical and so cute to pose for us.




The roller coaster in Egypt had about 7 cork screws and that was just one too many for me. There was a net above us, I asked Edik what do you think the net is for? He said it is to catch the people that fall out. We roared with laughter. I asked him how many times he has fallen out? All the rides were walk on with no lines, no waiting, just get on and ride. So by the time Bruce and I had found the best place to take the photos of our crazy party, they were walking up behind us saying what are you taking a picture of?



This giant horse (Clydesdale) knew exactly what to do when taking a photo with me, I was standing too far over and he put his head beside mine and pushed me over into the right spot.



The flat roller coaster was fun for me, you zigzag back and forth feeling like your cart is going to fall off the edge of the track, it was good but there was one casualty, Lori's glasses jumped out of her shirt and flung themselves to a crackly death, she wanted to rescue these $5 glasses, the boys at the controls said to come back at 6pm and we will see if we can get them for you, we attempted it but decided the walk was too far.

Bruce, Lori and I all did the bumper cars, it was a slow go but there was some good bumping and I proclaimed myself the victor. When we were reunited with you know who we all did the bumper cars and once again I proclaimed myself the winner. Edik was very perplexed
when he asked how I won. As we walked away Edik was imaginitivly chased by a green tiger, and then shocked by a huge walking stick that suddenly came to life as we passed by. The pink bird larger than life sized puppet was intriguing. Edik said she was lovely, she batted her eyes and flirted with him. He reached up and loved on her and hugged her, it made tears come to my eyes, his ability to quickly love and his odd sense of reality.

The tigers were amazing you could go up in a lookout tower if a tiger were there you would be under him looking through a piece of glass at him. Lori got some amazing photos and was so excited and entertained by them. I love seeing everyone enthralled by the animal of their choice. The orange orangatans were fun to watch, one of them would go to the big steel door and sniff under it, I would assume that's where his food came from, then he would go to the corner and hug on an old orangatan by the door. They are couriously familiar.

As Brian and Edik cheated death again I bought souvenirs. In the dark we found our way out of the park, walking past things we did not get to see. Starving again because we never really ate, just a muffin and popcorn, our navigator Bruce used his Iphone to locate, at my request, an Outback and it was good!
Did I mention it was cold? when we got home we turned on the heat and cranked up the hot tub, Lori and I sat in it for 2 hours, later to be joined by our men, but only after they wooed their mistresses, (their computers). We had our last great chat time, just like old times, it made me wish we lived closer, but we always just pick up where we left off. Our goodbyes' and hugs were done because they were getting up too early for us, their flight was at 8 am.
It was a great trip, I have no complaints and wish it had been longer. I do miss my family and the dogs, so it is good to be home. But it is cold, did I mention that Oregon is cold.






1 comment:

Amy said...

I am following you now so you better keep posting - it's fun and good therapy :)